Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/greignes/public_html/plugins/system/iceshortcodes/iceshortcodes.php on line 76

Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/greignes/public_html/plugins/system/iceshortcodes/iceshortcodes.php on line 79

Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/greignes/public_html/plugins/system/iceshortcodes/iceshortcodes.php on line 83

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.internal_encoding is deprecated in /home/greignes/public_html/libraries/joomla/string/string.php on line 27

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.input_encoding is deprecated in /home/greignes/public_html/libraries/joomla/string/string.php on line 28

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.output_encoding is deprecated in /home/greignes/public_html/libraries/joomla/string/string.php on line 29

Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/greignes/public_html/plugins/system/iceshortcodes/iceshortcodes.php on line 661

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/greignes/public_html/plugins/system/iceshortcodes/iceshortcodes.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/greignes/public_html/templates/it_property2/icetools/vars.php on line 7

Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/greignes/public_html/templates/it_property2/icetools/vars.php on line 29
Greign Estates Ltd - Buildings Insurance - Do you need it?

We have 32 guests and no members online

If you own your own home, you’ll need to have buildings cover just in case your home is damaged and needs a repair. It’s usually a condition of your mortgage and, if you’re a landlord, it’s your responsibility – not your tenants. Although it’s not compulsory, if you own your own home this sort of insurance should be a top priority.

What is home insurance?

This is a general term used to describe two very different types of insurance:

  • buildings insurance – for permanent fixtures and fittings, like kitchens and bathrooms
  • contents insurance – for things you keep in your home, like furniture, TVs and personal belongings

You can buy both types of insurance separately, or in many cases, you can get them as a joint policy from one insurance company.


What is buildings insurance?

This is a policy which covers damage to the structure of your home such as the walls, roof and floors.

It usually covers damage to fixtures and fittings too. So if you’ve got a fitted kitchen or bathroom, your insurance is likely to pay for any repairs you need.

Buildings insurance - What does it cover?

Did you know?

According to AXA the average claim for a burst pipe is now £25,000.

It covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home if it’s damaged. Policies vary from one insurer to another in exactly what events you’re covered for, but generally speaking, you’ll be able to claim if your home is damaged by:

  • natural events such as storms and floods
  • fire, smoke, explosions
  • vandalism
  • subsidence
  • car and lorry collisions
  • falling trees
  • water damage from leaking pipes
  • oil leaking from your heating system

Depending on the type of policy you get, it may also cover other structures around the home such as garages, fences, outside walls and driveways.

Buildings insurance - What doesn’t it cover?

You won’t be covered for general wear and tear and each policy will have its own exclusions (things you won’t be able to claim for). These often include damage caused by:

  • frost (unless it causes damage from a burst pipe)
  • leaking gutters
  • insects, birds and pests

You can’t normally claim for loss or damage which happens whilst your property has been left unoccupied for more than 30 or 60 days. Many insurers will let you arrange cover if you let them know in advance.

Storm damage to gates and fences is also unlikely to be covered.

Exclusions vary from one policy to the next so make sure you read the policy carefully.

Do you need buildings insurance?

If you own your own home or are renting out a property then you’ll need to have buildings insurance.

Your mortgage will usually include this as a condition, so not having a policy in place could put your mortgage – and your home – at risk.

If you’re renting a property, it’s your landlord’s responsibility to sort out a buildings insurance policy.

If you’re a tenant, check your home insurance to make sure you’re only paying for contents cover.

Do you need buildings insurance if you own a flat?

If you own a leasehold flat, the building may be insured by the landlord who owns the freehold. Your solicitor will be able to advise you if your lease means you have to take out buildings insurance.

Even when it’s not your responsibility to take out buildings cover, you’ll probably be paying the premiums through your service charge.

If you live in a flat where the leaseholders have clubbed together to buy a share of the freehold from the landlord then you may have to arrange buildings cover.

You can do this individually, but it might be cheaper and easier to get together with people in the other flats and take out a block policy to cover you all. An insurance broker can help you with this.

Buildings insurance - What are the pros and cons?

  • Repairing your home can be very expensive, so at an average of £181 a year (source: AA Premium Index), buildings insurance could save you a fortune in the long run.
  • Insurers are adding more and more exclusions to their policies so you’ll need to read the small print carefully.
  • You might have to pay an excess of up to £1,000 for subsistence claims but this can still be cheaper than paying the whole lot.

Next steps

Make sure you have enough cover. Being underinsured can be a costly mistake.


Read More at: https: //

Nairobi Office

Chester House, 1st Floor Suite 23, Koinange Street,
Tel: 020 2230 682/2217348;
Mob: 0722289881, 0727769694, 0722456015

Mombasa Office

Electricity House, 4th Floor, Nkrumah Road,
P.O. Box 3380 - 80100, Mombasa

Nyeri Office

Mt. Kenya Hse, Ragati Road 1st Floor, P.O. Box 1082, Karatina

Kiambu Office

Mt. Kenya Hse, Chamuka Road, P.O. Box 70915-00400 Nairobi

The best selection of properties for your value..Contact Us »